REACH Services FAQ

What is AAC?

Augmentative and Alternate Communication is a term used to describe means other than speaking to communicate. This can involve use of low-tech communication systems such as sign language, written words, or picture symbols, or high-tech systems that include the use of speech generated devices, and computer-based systems.

What is Assistive Technology?

Assistive technology is technology used by individuals with disabilities in order to perform functions that might otherwise be difficult or impossible. Assistive technology can include mobility devices such as walkers and wheelchairs, as well as hardware, software, and peripherals that assist people with disabilities in accessing computers or other information technologies.

What payments do you accept?

We are paid through Regional Centers, private payment from the client, and/or Medicare.

Who is eligible for Education Services?

We provide services across all ages and we partner with other agencies and therapists to address all needs.

What are Regional Centers?

The Regional Centers are private, nonprofit organizations that contract with the California Department of Developmental Services (DDS) to fund and administer services to people with developmental disabilities. The Regional Center links each consumer with a service coordinator, who provides case management for the consumer and assists the person in finding and arranging services.

What is the difference between ILS and SLS?

Independent Living Services (ILS) are typically used by adults who have some self-help skills but need help with some tasks. A person who uses ILS typically spends a great deal of time on his/her own without support.

SLS services are typically for a person with a developmental disability (“consumer”) who is 18 years of age or older, is a client of a Regional Center, and expresses, either directly or through an advocate, the desire to live in his/her own home.

Who is eligible for Supported Living Services?

An individual interested in SLS should contact his/her Regional Center service coordinator. If an individual wishes to receive SLS independent from the Regional Center system, on a private pay basis, he/she should contact REACH.

Will I be supported on nights, weekends, and holidays with SLS?

Yes. REACH provides Supported Living Services to people around the clock, every day, if that is what they need.

Have a question that is not listed? Contact us, We’d be happy to answer.